Git is a good code management platform. For most users, consider Getting Started with Git For superusers, please read below.
Git is available from http://git-scm.org. When installed it provides two applications:
Git Bash is especially useful for Windows users that need unix functionality. A very useful reference manual - http://gitref.org/remotes/
We are working with versions:
- Version 126.96.36.199 is provided via yum from epel. This doesn't support sub-modules.
- Version 1.7 is needed for sub-modules. Will need to install manually.
- Version 188.8.131.52 is the latest available at http://git-scm.com/
Architecting Codeflow and Integration
- Integration Manager
- Centralised vs Decentralized
- Hierachical Integration
Because Git is designed to be highly flexible, it allow for many combinations of working styles. Examples:
- Local Development
- Local Development and a Single Shared repository
- Local Development and Multiple Shared repositories
Git Server Installation
cd /usr/local/ wget -c http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-184.108.40.206.tar.bz2 tar -jxf ../src/git-220.127.116.11.tar.bz2 cd git-18.104.22.168/ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ --without-python make -j4 make install
- Git: Best Practices
- Git: Configuration
- Git: Start a new repository
- Git: Setup Collaborative access to repository
- Git: Add
- Git: Pull changes
- Git: Stash
- Git: Stashing conflicts
- Git: Commit
- Git: Committing changes
- Git: Log
- Git: Branching
- Git: Merging
- Git: Tagging
- Git: Fixing Windows line endings
- Git: Sub-Modules
- Git: bisect
- Git: blame
- Git: Hooks
- Git: Installation
- Git: Performance
- Git: Integrating Continuous Integration
- Git: Integrating Jenkins
- SVN to Git Migration
Git Usage Patterns
- Git-Redmine Integration
- Local Development (for Individuals)
- Hub-Spoke (for Team)
- MegaHub-Hub-Spoke (for multiple Teams)
- Spoke-Spoke (for peer-to-peer)
- Spoke-Spoke-Hub-Spoke-Spoke (mixed peer and team)
- and many other combinations...
The internals of Git object storage is file-based. See Git Objects So the base performance of the repository is proportional to the speed of file access.
- Performance begins to suffer > 10GB repository.
- Add Ramdisk
- Split codebase.
Mercurial is really the only direct competitor.
- http://git-scm.com/ (Source)
- http://gitready.com/ (training)
- A good code management platform
- Git Dreamhost Installation
Git is free software distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2.
blog comments powered by Disqus