PRINCE2 (an acronym for PRojects IN Controlled Environments, version 2) is a project management methodology initiated by the UK public service. It's commonly used by the UK government, and Commonwealth government. PRINCE2 is flexible enough to deal with change. (ie. not fragile). Focuses on leadership and softskills.
The methodology encompasses the high level management, control and organisation of a project, but not lower level activities such as scheduling. PRINCE2 is also used to refer to the training and accreditation of authorised practitioners of the methodology who must undertake accredited qualifications to obtain certification. PRINCE2 has 3.5 millions trained project managers globally.
PRINCE2 is a process-driven project management method which contrasts with reactive/adaptive methods such as Scrum.
PRINCE2 Project Definition
A temporary organisation that is created for the purpose of delivering one or more business projects according to an agreed business case. Endeavours to increase repeatability, and consistency.
PRINCE2 is references:
- PRINCE2 Seven Principles
- PRINCE2 Seven Themes
- PRINCE2 Seven Processes
- PRINCE2 Products
- PRINCE2 Actors
- PRINCE2 Rules
- PRINCE2 Glossary
- Principles always apply. Never tairlored
- Adapt themes
- merge in organisation and project factors
- Apply organisation language
- eg. names of roles and products
- Adapt Roles
- reconfigure standard roles, add new roles
- Adapt processes
- All processes need to be done.
- Project Board
- Provides guidance on what each stage should be doing.
- Provides governance
- Tangible outcome.
- A management stage. Stages a must.
- Tolerance, exceptions
- allowable deviation around a target
- offspec is a product that doesn't meet specification
- Off-specification, concessions (waiver)
- Product Description, Work Package
- Product specification
- Activity associated with the Work Package
- Benefit Review Plan
- Statement of intention to realise the benefit from a project
- Executive cannot be the Project Manager
- else governance is non-effective.
- Executive should not be Senior User or Senior Supplier
- however, in lean projects this might be the case.
- Every stage of PRINCE2 needs a stage plan
- Pre-Project is not a stage. Its a Process.
- Crown copyright
- Administered by the UK cabinet.
- APM Group (APMG) are the accreditation authority.
- US Treasury uses PRINCE2
- Rolls Royce uses PRINCE2 to fix engine issue in A380
- IT, Health, Government
- ANZ, NAB uses Prince. Rest use PMBOK
- mostly government
- About 3.5 million PRINCE2 project managers globally.
Related Project Methods